CMUP is a Mathematical research center based at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade do Porto, Portugal. Since its foundation, the main objectives of CMUP are to carry out and support mathematical research, as well as to promote the dissemination of Mathematics as a fundamental discipline for the development of society at all levels.
For more detailed information about CMUP's research activities, please have a look at this page with a few short videos about our research. The videos are spoken in Portuguese and subtitled in English.
CMUP has around 65 integrated researchers, including tenured professors from several faculties of the University of Porto and the Polytechnic Institute of Porto, and contract researchers at junior and senior levels. This organization means that CMUP has achieved a critical mass and variety in its composition, which allows for carrying out world-class research in a number of areas, and also for benefiting from synergies arising from interactions between its researchers.
CMUP has 4 main research groups (Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Probability & Statistics) and 4 main research strands (Computational Mathematics, Dynamical Systems, Mathematical Models and Applications and Semigroups Automata and Language).
- regular seminars in all research areas; visits by outside researchers to work on joint research projects with CMUP members and to stimulate scientific development at the CMUP;
- work visits by members to other research institutions and also their participation in relevant scientific meetings;
- the hosting of international conferences/workshops;
- a stimulating scientific environment for Ph.D. Students from both Ph.D. programs in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics and Post-Doc researchers including the ones from FCT program “Ciência”;
- outreach activities such as connections with schools (basic and secondary education) and a summer school of Mathematics.
CMUP has active collaborations with institutions worldwide and our members regularly obtain external funding for a significant number of research projects. CMUP has recently integrated the Intelligent Systems Associate Laboratory (LASI), a consortium of research units with expertise in artificial intelligence and data science. Moreover, CMUP has taken steps in the corporate and business world by providing consulting services through the Gabinete de Estatística Modelação e Aplicações Computacionais (GEMAC), which is an office created within CMUP's resources. CMUP has also organized events such as the Workshop on Mathematics and Industry - "European Study Groups with Industry" in order to make an effort to build a connection with corporations and companies.
União Europeia Fundos Estruturais
Governo da República Portuguesa
Programa Operacional "Ciência, Tecnologia, Inovação"
Programa Operacional Sociedade da Informação