The Mathematics Center of the University of Porto (CMUP) has opened a call for applications to one research position in Dynamical Systems.
All official details for this call can be found on the eracareers website. Below is a brief summary of the terms and conditions for the application, although only the version posted on the eracareers website is official.
Application deadlines: The call is open between January 28th 2021 and February 25th 2021 by 23h59 (GMT, Lisbon time).
Research field: Mathematics
Research sub-field: Dynamical Systems
Admission requirements: PhD degree in the research sub-field mentioned above or in a related sub-field.
Job description: (i) Research activities akin to CMUP’s research in the research sub-field mentioned above.
(ii) Teaching duties at the Department of Mathematics of FCUP (up to a weekly average of four hours).
Duration: Up to 3 years, starting on March 1st or at a later date, in case of mutual agreement.
Remuneration: € 2,392.96.
Submission process: Applications must exclusively be submitted through the web page of this call (https://sigarra.up.pt/fcup/pt/cnt_cand_geral.concursos_list with number 196), within 20 working days after opening, at the attention of the Selection Committee, and include the following documents:
• Copy of the PhD certificate or diploma;
• Detailed Curriculum vitae;
• Brief description of the scientific activities for the last 5 years with an indication of those considered most relevant (maximum of 3 pages plus bibliographic references);
• Other documents considered important by the candidate for the evaluation.
Selection criteria: The selection will be based on the evaluation of the candidates’ scientific and academic track, possibly with an interview.
A. Assessment of the candidates’ scientific and academic track.
In this parameter, the scientific achievements as well as the outreach and academic activities of the candidates will be assessed according to the criteria and parameters listed below.
I – Scientific activity within the research sub-area of the call, with a weight of 80%, taking into account the following parameters:
- Relevance, quality and pioneering aspect of the scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production of the candidate as well as its impact and national and international recognition, with special emphasis on such contributions indicated by the candidate as their most relevant ones over the last 5 years;
- Relevance, quality and pioneering aspect of the applied research or practice-based activities of the candidate as well as its impact and national and international recognition, with special emphasis on such contributions indicated by the candidate as their most relevant ones over the last 5 years.
II – Outreach and academic management within the research sub-area of the call, with a weight of 20%, taking into account the following parameters:
- Relevance, quality and pioneering aspect of the outreach and knowledge dissemination activities of the candidate, namely within the context of promotion of culture and scientific practices which are considered most relevant by the candidate over the last 5 years;
- Relevance, quality and pioneering aspect of the candidate’s academic management activities: management of science, technology and innovation programs, or observation and monitorization of the scientific and technological or higher education system, in Portugal or abroad, as well as the coordination and participation in scientific projects.
Once the assessment of the scientific and academic track of the candidates is completed, the jury proceeds to rank the candidates.
B. Oral interview.
If the jury finds it necessary, it can call for an oral interview by videoconference of the candidates ranked in the first three positions in regards to their scientific and academic track. The interview aims only to clarify questions related to the candidate’s research achievements.
The final scoring and ranking of these candidates is determined by the formula 0,9*A + 0,1*B, where A is the score obtained for the scientific and academic track and B is the interview score. The ranking of the remaining candidates is left unchanged.
Notification: Lists of admitted and excluded candidates, as well as the final ranking lists, will be published and advertised on the webpage of this call at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Porto/Sigarra. Once notified, the candidates have 10 working days to respond to the decision. The final decision of the jury will be delivered within 90 working days of the final date for the call.
Requirements to be completed prior to signing the contract: If the selected candidate's academic degree was awarded by a foreign (i.e., not Portuguese) higher education institution, then the formal procedures instituted in the Decreto-Lei n.º 66/2018 (Decree Law 66/2018) must be completed before the scholarship is awarded.
Composition of the Selection Committee:
President: Jorge Miguel Milhazes de Freitas, FCUP
1st member: Ana Paula Dias, FCUP
2nd member: José Ferreira Alves, FCUP
3rd member: Paulo César Rodrigues Pinto Varandas, CMUP / UFBA
1st substitute member: Jorge Manuel Martins da Rocha, FCUP